Detroit Jazz Festival Announces Initial 2022 Lineup | Music News | Detroit
The “world’s largest free jazz festival” returns to Detroit on Labor Day weekend September 2-5. We’re talking about the Detroit Jazz Festival, of course, which announced its first acts for 2022 on Saturday evening.
This year’s artist-in-residence Chucho Valdés will be joined by fellow headliners José James, Dianne Reeves, Nubya Garcia, The Soul Rebels, and more. Valdés will open the festival with a performance of “The Creation” with the Yoruban Orchestra. The full program will be available closer to the event.
“As we look forward to returning to an in-person format, this year’s lineup reflects our renewed mission to showcase legacy artists, propagate and nurture the next generation of jazz artists and audiences, and showcase the diversity of jazz at a festival,” said Chris Collins, president and artistic director of the Detroit Jazz Festival Foundation, in a statement.
The festival will take place in person at Hart Plaza and Campus Martius Park for the first time since 2019. A live stream option will also be available via live.detroitjazzfest.org.
You can check out the lineup so far below:
Friday, September 2
- Chucho Valdés “The Creation” with the Yoruban Orchestra, Hilario Duràn and John Beasley, musical directors.
- soul rebels
Saturday September 3
- The New Orleans Groove Masters with Herlin Riley, Jason Marsalis and Shannon Powell
- Roosevelt Necklace
- Julien Lage
- Harriet Tubman with Brandon Ross, Melvin Gibbs and JT Lewis
- Donny McCaslin
- Ranky Tanky with special guest Lisa Fischer
- Ambrose Akinmusire Quartet
- Threesome Vijay Iyer
- Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya
- Ulysses Owens Jr. Big Band with special guest Marquis Hill
Sunday September 4
- Bill Frisell Trio with Thomas Morgan and Ruby Royston
- José James presents Yesterday I Had the Blues: The Music of Billie Holiday
- Georgia Anne Muldrow
- Antonio Sánchez and Bad Hombre with Thana Alexa, BIGYUKI & Lex Sadler
- Nubya Garcia
- Tottori Jazz Generation Band
- Charles McPherson Quintet with Brian Lynch
- Cécile McLorin Salvant
- Roberto Fonseca YESUN
- The flagship project
- Duets – Dianne Reeves, Chucho Valdés & Joe Lovano
Monday, September 5
- Theo Croker – LOVE QUANTUM with Gary Bartz
- Ethan Iverson Trio (with Larry Grenadier and Nasheet Waits)
- Diane Reeves
- Artemis with Renee Rosnes, Ingrid Jensen, Nicole Glover, Alexa Tarantino, Noriko Ueda and Allison Miller
- Three Emmet Cohen
- “Yankee Go Home” by John Scofield with Vicente Archer, Jon Cowherd and Josh Dion
- JD Allen Trio
- Chucho Valdes Quartet